Monday, April 29, 2013

Y is for You

This month I'm participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. The theme I'm going with this year is writing humor. Follow along to learn more about the different ways to make your fiction, articles or blog posts humorous. 

Wow! I can't believe this month is almost over. 

Alright, for today I want to chat about you. And what you should be paying attention to in order to find excellent fodder for writing humor.  

Make sure you pay attention to...

everything!

Interesting conversations you over hear. 

Odd sightings in your neighborhood or town. 

The funny things your kids say. 

Stories and articles you read. 

Moments that strike you as funny. 

Notice what's going around you! Think about it. Mull things over. Find the humor. Jot down notes. 

A couple weeks ago I had to go in to the hospital for a lovely glucose test.  I signed in on the computer and sat down in a small waiting area with a few other people.  Then about every other year a woman came out of the offices, called a name, the person stood up and then went back to fill out the paperwork.


I wonder if I could request a pretty room like this for
my next stay at the hospital.

At one point the woman came out and called, "*Karla Gibbers." 

No one moved. 

"Karla Gibbers." 

Those of us in the waiting area looked around, trying to spot this Karla Gibbers. But she didn't appear. Maybe she wanted a cheeseburger from the hospital cafeteria. Or maybe she decided to go to the Emergency Room for faster treatment. Or it could have been something much simpler. 

She died already. 

Still not getting a repsonse, the woman went back into the offices. But a few minutes later she was back. 

"Karla Gibbers." The woman's eyes traveled over each of us sitting in the waiting area. We stared back at her with blank expressions. "Karla Gibbers?" 

Maybe I should have jumped out of my seat."Wait. Did you say Karla Gibbers? I thought you said Carl Gibbers! Why, I'm Karla Gibbers!"

The point of this story is that it made me laugh. This woman looked at each of us, hoping we were the missing lady, as if we were going to finally recognize our name and follow her.  So, I filed it away and thought I might use that little tidbit for something or other. 

*I can't actually remember the name called. So, if your name is Karla Gibbers, I'm sorry I suggested you died.

Do you collect writing material? Bits of conversations or anecdotes? Do you keep this info in a journal? 

7 comments:

  1. I'm a perpetual eavesdropper, but you didn't hear that from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I jot things down on bits of paper and then I have to transfer it onto the computer before I stop being able to decipher what I wrote.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proves you can find writing tidbits anywhere. Thanks for a month of info and fin Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have a notebook with me to capture those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm rarely in the right place at the right time with that paper and pencil- it's a great idea though. Nancy at Welcome to she said, he said


    ReplyDelete
  6. play bazaar
    satta king Anti-depressants have the side effect of hair loss. The ingredients within the prescription can cause many people to experience an increase in hair to fall out.

    ReplyDelete