Friday, October 19, 2012

Writing a Novel is like a Having a Dragon in the House

I've been thinking about this quote a lot lately...

Writing a novel is like having a dragon in the house...


And just when I think I've found all the pieces I realize my dragon is missing important chunks...like eyeballs, its tail or even its mouth. 

Recently my friend, Rose Green, posted on Facebook...

"Do you ever feel like the middle of a manuscript is like battling a hydra? Every time I think I've got it under control, a new arc or plot point springs into life, and I realize I've got to go back and make that fit somehow."

Yes. It's like a Hyrda, too. All those heads, whipping around, wanting attention and springing to life when you least expect  them

*sigh* 

Anyone else feel like they're trying to put a dragon back together or battle a hydra? Can you think of another great metaphor about writing a novel? 

1 comment:

  1. I play with the hydra, and cut its heads of later if they don't fit. :)

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete