Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for New Words


"Write down all the language 
you would 
use to describe a subject. 
Throw this away. 
Find new words!" 
-Lance Larsen


I'm so happy I got to listen to Lance speak at WIFYR. He is a brilliant poet and gave a great session entitled, 11 Tips for Writing Jaw-Dropping Sentences. 

And his presentation? It was jaw-dropping. Someday I'll have to write more about it. But for now....yeah, find new words. I love this idea of his...writing down everything you'd use and just throwing it away. That would be hard though, right? But totally worth it. Stretch yourself. Don't stick with the same metaphors and analogies or descriptions. 

Find new words.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! I'm always looking for ways to change things up with my writing, and this post certainly has proven there are folks willing to show how it's done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love words. I think it's why I write... I think I might be more in love with words than characters... hmm... that could be a problem... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin! Interesting post. Find new words. Sounds so simple, doesn't it? Have a wonderful day!


    Susanne
    PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from the A to Z. What a great post. It totally makes sense, but is something not often thought of or remembered. Well said.
    A2ZMommy and What’s In Between

    ReplyDelete