Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Love the Writing

I'm sure I've read this quote before... 

"Love the writing, love the writing, love the writing... the rest will follow."  -Jane Yolen


But I came across it again yesterday and it really resonated with me. 

Yes. 

I need to love the writing.  Jane Yolen, You Rock. Who cares about the rest.  I am so busy with this happy chaotic family of mine. Every day there are sheets and sheets of homework to correct, noses to wipe, stories to be read, little bodies to hug, sandwiches to make, a baby to snuggle, tears to dry, groceries to buy (thankfully not every day), pink dresses to sew (alright. I know I don't have to...but come on.  They're so cute!), diapers to change, pictures to take, hands to hold, jokes to laugh at, snacks to make, laundry to fold and so on and so on and so on. 

Sometimes I get to dreaming about selling a book, having an agent, jetting off for book signings in my large red Audrey Hepburnish hat with a flowing scarf and maybe a funky skirt and some snappy heels...hmmmm, or maybe I'd go more for an earth mother vibe ...a bohemian skirt, peasant top, lots of wood bead bracelets, wild curly hair...wait a minute....eh...I got a bit sidetracked.  Ok.  Um....yeah, the author fantasy.  It's nice to dream. (ooooh, and in my dream I have lots of fans, of course, who are foaming at the mouth for my next book---mmm, well, not really. otherwise that would be just gross)

But.

I can't worry about agents and submissions and editors right now and get caught up in the Gotta-Get-Something-Circulating-So-I-Can-Get-Published Fervor. I can't even worry too much about finishing the book I'm working on.  Sometimes I get so worried about it. I try to set up timelines.  I try to figure out how many chapters I can make myself do and how many weeks until I can finish revising, but then things don't go as planned (do things ever go as planned when you're a mom?)  I just need to take it easy.  Write everyday. Move forward. Stick with it. Don't get discouraged when I'm not able to write as much as I'd like.

I can focus on the writing, on loving the writing.

Hopefully, someday, the rest will follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment