Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Write On Wednesday: Addicted to Craft Blogs

I don't have a lot of time today.  I'm going to a Service Auction tonight and I need to get some sewing done for it. Ever been to one? They're super fun. You bring a service, whether it's something you've already made, like bread or jewelry or whatever. Or you fill out a slip promising a service, like pulling weeds or making dinner or well, anything! And then when we get there we fill out a questionnaire asking questions about the service we've given today or this week. Our answers give us points and we bid on the services with those points.  It's great! I'm working on a scrappy purse to take.

But enough of that.  On to the writing chatter. 

So, my goal this last week was to work on my british dragon scene and the training scene.  My sweet husband took over the Saturday morning Blech which involves prodding the monkeys to do their chores so I could go to the library and type away.  It was brilliant! I worked a little on the dragon scene but mostly I got busy with my world building. I have quite a bit of that to do. It can be overwhelming how much I still need to do! But it's actually quite fun...naming countries, creating strange creatures, defining the goverment, etc.

I recently finished rereading Princess For Hire by Lindsey Leavitt (she's a sweet on-line friend of mine...I love seeing all her success!) and am now enjoying The Beyonders by Brandon Mull. 

I grounded myself from reading a few months ago thinking I would write more if I wasn't being seduced into spending my time with someone else's story. But I was so wrong! Some authors say they have to stop reading other's work while they are writing because otherwise they begin to ingest those words and their own work changes. 

I don't think I have that problem. But I find if I stop reading then I don't have any inspiration, nothing that spurs me on.  When I read great books it makes me want to write something great! It's like this...

When I am reading fantasy middle novels I want to write fantasy novels with great magic and creatures and such. But when I'm reading craft blogs I want to grab my spray paint and glue gun. 

So, more fantasy, less craft blogs! Although I can't eliminate them completely.  Where is the fun in that?

ETA: I forgot to make a writing goal for this week!  Alright, I better keep it simple. I'm working on a secret birthday gift (I think I mentioned this somewhere...) and I really need to get busy on it or it's not going to be done! Ok. By next Wednesday I need fix the "trekking off into the crazy unknown magical world" scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment