Saturday, January 29, 2011

Healthy Chowder Recipe

As a family we're trying to eat healthier.  In the past I've tried to change my eating habits while making the same stuff I always have for my family....like casseroles with too much cheese or butter and not enough vegetables. 

So, this time I'm trying to change all of our eating habits.  More vegetables and fruit. More whole grains.  And less cookies and sweets.  As I was googling for some new recipes to try I came across this link.  Tonight we tried the Ham and Vegetable Chowder.  And surprisingly it was voted onto our *New* Family Favorites List(I didn't think a soup including cabbage would be so well recieved).  For years we've voted dinners we've liked onto the list.  It's no fun making food no one likes, so we take a vote.  Usually if everyone likes it but one person and that person can stomach to swallow it down, it makes the list. 

I added carrots into our version, extra ham, garlic powder. two red potatoes and used chicken boullion granules instead of canned broth.  And I added extra granules. We had toasted great harvest wheat bread with it.  It was easy and Super Yum.  Here's the recipe if you'd like to give it a shot...
 


Ham and Vegetable Chowder

 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cabbage, chopped (3-4 cups)
1 large potato, peeled and diced
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
2 cans cream-style corn
1 cup lean (8% fat) ham, chopped
1/2 teaspoon black
pepper


1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
 
Directions
 
1. Heat oil in large pot. Sauté onion, cabbage, and potato over medium
heat, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth, corn, ham, and pepper.
3. Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.

Tips:

Leave skin on potato for added nutrients and fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment